The Artful Black & White Landscape
The Artful Black & White LandscapeDeath Valley National Park, California
November 10-14, 2022
Limited to only 10 photographers; $1795 per person
- Before signing up to this workshop, please make sure you read our Cancellation Policy (scroll down):
- If you have attended any past workshop with Michael or Chuck, you can claim a 10% discount on your registration fees using the coupon code ALUMNI10.
Most workshops provide the photographer with immediate opportunities to take good photographs in beautiful and inspirational settings. A great photography workshop provides you the tools and inspiration needed to create a lifetime of intentional and creatively-conceived works of art. Photographers of all experience levels are invited to join Chuck Kimmerle and Michael E. Gordon for this unique black and white focused photography workshop. Michael and Chuck are not only experienced photographers, they are inspirational, passionate, and patient instructors whose priority is your creative confidence and artistic growth. This workshop offers an excellent mix of location photography, group and personal instruction, image review sessions, field discussions, and black and white post-production classroom work in one of the most visually compelling locations in the world, Death Valley National Park. Some of our topics include Aesthetic Considerations, Visualizing Black & White, Field Capture Techniques, Editing/Processing Considerations and Workflow, Printers & Printing, and much more!
This workshop will begin at NOON (Pacific Standard Time) on November 10, 2022, and conclude at NOON (Pacific Standard Time) on November 14, 2022. We hope to see and work with you in Death Valley!
This workshop is designed to accommodate all camera formats and all skill levels, digital or film. Our goal is to both introduce you to the beauty of Death Valley and to help you advance your monochromatic photography through creative and personal expression.
For the fullest and most enjoyable experience, we urge that all participants be in good health, have good physical conditioning, and be able to comfortably walk 4-5 miles per day with camera gear. An SUV or other rugged high-clearance vehicle is required as we will be driving dirt and gravel roads to most of our locations.
This workshop is recommended for:
* Photographers who wish to explore creative image-making
* Photographers who are comfortable operating their equipment
* Photographers who are looking to venture beyond the documentary and representational image
* Photographers who are comfortable working, hiking, and driving off the beaten path
This workshop is NOT recommended for:
* Photographers with physical mobility issues (we may walk as many as 3-5 miles per day over uneven rocky and sandy terrain)
* Photographers who lack physical fitness and routine conditioning. This workshop is not physically demanding but your fitness ensures a more rewarding and less fatiguing experience. Please inquire if you have doubts
* Photographers lacking knowledge of basic photography fundamentals (camera operations; ISO, aperture, depth-of-field, etc.). We are happy to assist with these topics as needed but participants should arrive versed in all.
* Photographers who seek a pure location-based photo tour independent of classroom time, learning, and artistic growth
What is Included
Your workshop tuition includes all classroom instruction, location guiding, and 100% of Chuck’s and Michael's attention focused on your needs and artistic growth. Upon registration, we will send you a trip checklist to assist with your preparations. Carpooling to our locations within the Park is required by the NPS and will be orchestrated daily by Michael and Chuck.
What is Not Included
Lodging, airfare, car rentals, Park entrance fees, camera gear and meals are not included, nor are any items of a personal nature. Lodging is reserved for our group. Participants will be required to transport themselves to and from our meeting location at Stovepipe Wells Village, Death Valley National Park. Anticipate a 2-3 hour travel time to/from Las Vegas (airport code LAS).
This workshop will take place in the incomparable Death Valley National Park.
Registration and Payment
To guarantee your participation in this workshop, full payment is required.
Although rare, there is always the possibility that we may cancel a workshop, and we reserve the right to do so at our discretion for any or no reason. Should we decide to cancel, we will refund your registration fees in full. If you are concerned about recovering other expenses, please consider purchasing travel insurance. If you wish to cancel your participation for any reason, you must do so in writing.
It is impossible to predict weather when scheduling a workshop. What some may consider "bad" weather often makes for good photography. Participants should come prepared for all weather conditions (cold, hot, snow, sun, rain). A gear and clothing checklist is provided to all registrants.
If you cancel 60 days or more from the workshop start date, you will receive a full refund minus a $500 administrative fee and our payment processing fees (e.g., PayPal, etc.)
If you cancel 30-59 days from the workshop start date, we will refund 50% of your registration fee minus our payment processing fees (e.g., PayPal, etc.)
No refund will be given if canceling 29 days or less from the workshop start date.
We make NO EXCEPTIONS to our refund policy. Given our limited group size, an empty seat on a workshop is a significant loss and this is our way of protecting ourselves. You may protect yourself, too, at your own discretion, by purchasing travel insurance.